Go Faster Stripes


I attended a mindfulness session at work yesterday, as part of World Mental Health Day.  One focal point was how our current world is at such a frantic pace.  We rarely take time to stop and just be.  I used to live life at a million miles a minute.  Fast paced workouts. Fast paced pacing around. My ex-boyfriend always wanted to eat while watching TV . I like films, but I like to focus on my food, to have a conversation over dinner. To talk about your day.  He used to put his hand up to silence me if I spoke while we were eating. I used to laugh it off, but now I see how condescending that was.

You can practice mindfulness in many different ways. One of these is The Body Scan, see below 


This really helped me when I was in the grip of severe depression and anxiety.  His book,  Full Catastrophe Living, recommended to me by  a fellow Depression Warrior and all round awesome person,  really saved me in the darkest hour.

I used to hate food shopping. I hated the busyness, the crowds. Now I go food shopping at quieter times. I savour my food. I don't have  a TV, I read a book, or just try and focus on the food I'm eating, be mindful of every morsel that passes my lips. Sounds pretty basic, but how did you eat your dinner tonight?  With one eye on your smartphone, one on your partner/kids.  Well I am single, and I don't have kids. But if I did have a boyfriend or children, I would hope my focus would be 100% on them.  Food is how I show love.

But as you know, my relationship with food is kind of messed up. I don't always practice what I preach. I can go from not eating for hours, to cramming junk food into my mouth like there's no tomorrow. It would be unfair of me to pretend I am 100% perfect all the time. Who is?  So I am trying to eat a more balanced diet. Eat regular meals.  Drink water.

I am trying to eat more mindfully these days.  I was also majorly sleep deprived for several months. I still sometimes have broken sleep. The blue light our smartphones emit is bad for our natural body rhythms.  Like anyone, I can be addicted to my Smartphone.

But it doesn't make me happy. Not really.   I said to one of my colleagues when I came back to work from long term sick, I'd rather go for an actual coffee with you in the cafe at work, than send you an emoji of a coffee on Facebook Messenger. I'd rather traverse time zones than talk over Twitter. I'd rather give you an actual face to face hug than a virtual hug.

Our smartphones have made the world fit on the head of a pin, metaphorically speaking. But people are lonelier than ever, suicide rates and reports of depression in very young children have soared.

So this weekend, I pledge to put down my Smartphone for an hour. Go for a walk. look up at the sky. Take pictures with my eyes -actually look at things not photograph them for Instagram.   Listen to birdsong. watch clouds.  You may think me a silly hippy, but believe me, changing my mindset has brought me an inner peace I never thought possible.  Try it sometime.  It might just blow your mind :)

Reading: Spark Joy, Marie Kondo

Watching; Thelma and Louise

Beauty: Mac Studio Fix fluid(foundation)

Food: Slow cooker meals...comfort food

Drink: Coffee(I have a serious addiction)

Travel: The Open Road

Current obsession: Kettlebells

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Not OK

Guest Post: Kristina M Serrano

Me Too in 2023: