Stan Lee, Superheroes, and Spider-Girl

I was going to write this week about going to see Hollie McNish*preview -AMAZING* but I decided to write today about superheroes, following the passing away of Stan Lee.

I have always been drawn to Superhero films.  Spiderman has always been one of my favourites.  I think because as a kid growing up I was often ill.  I was smaller than other children my age. I couldn't reach the same levels in sport my classmates could.  I stood out.

But superheroes taught me that standing out didn't have to be a bad thing.  You could be geeky and wear glasses, and in a swish of a cape and removal of glasses unleash superpowers.

I have also always been obsessed with Superman, still got a pretty major crush on Dean Cain TBH-he's still got it!  I will have to post my Superman poem at some point.  I think the other side to my superhero obsession was the idea that you didn't have to fit in one box.  You could be a writer at The Daily Planet in the daytime, and save the world at a moment's notice.

Stan Lee was a revolutionary, I was reading today online that comic book obsession was the children of the 70s and 80s version of Beatlemania.  And I love that my friend's children now fight over who will be Batman or Robin.

Plus the fact that- although not as many as the male ones -he featured some female superheroes.  because why shouldn't women be able to do everything a man can?  Apart from piss standing up-still a little jealous of that.

I'm just so grateful to Stan Lee, because his characters made me feel I could be my own superhero.  I could create my own, and I have. My Superpower?  Word wizard, literary superhero.

And I truly believe whoever you are,whatever your situation, you can be a superhero too.  Just by reading this, your Superpowers are strengthening, I can feel them.  And on this week wherev World Kindness Day took place, the biggest and most important Superpower of all?  Kindess.

Thanks for everything Stan. RIP

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Not OK

Guest Post: Kristina M Serrano

Me Too in 2023: