Lessons I've learnt


17th March marks another birthday for me.  I always find things like birthdays and anniversaries make you reflect on the past, what's changed since previous celebrations, and what's to come.

So with that in mind, I wanted to write about the lessons I've learnt in the last year.  I wouldn't say it's been an overly eventful year but, as always, there have been some changes.  Here goes.

  1. Home is a state of mind, not just a place.  I have relocated in the last year, and I think beforehand I imagined as soon as I moved, all of my problems would go away.  Not the case.  And although living somewhere with beautiful scenery can lift the soul, you have to be at peace in your head first, before you can be content anywhere.
  2. It's OK to ask for help if you need it.  Having been through some ups and downs over the last few years, I convinced myself that I had to self-isolate as it were.  I assumed people were busy and that I wasn't worthy of their time.  Because whatever you're going through, there is huge amounts of help out there.  Not comparing your timescale for healing to others is massively helpful.  There is no one rulebook for life.  We aren't robots and beating yourself up for not being okay is no help to anyone.  Since I've asked for help, my world has expanded, I've had a wealth of support from family and friends.  Accessing support and help has changed my life in ways I could never have imagined.  You are not alone.
  3. You are enough.  Although one of my favourite poetic creations has this title, I still compare myself unfavourably to others at times.  Labelling myself too short, comparing everything from bra size to body shape led me to completely lose sight of who I was and what mattered to me.  So say it to yourself, you are unique and beautiful.  What do you like about yourself?  What is your best feature?  What makes you stand out from the crowd?  I can guarantee it is these features which give you inner and outer beauty.
  4.  
So what lessons have you learnt in the last year?  What has led you to surprise yourself in this time?  Having thought I was trapped in a pitch black tunnel, I am now finding my way towards a glimmer of light.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Not OK

Guest Post: Kristina M Serrano

Me Too in 2023: