B is for Barcelona, Baristas &Board Games

 Greetings from South Somerset, not far from Glastonbury. It seems fitting as someone who has always loved singing and dancing that I should end up living so near to the home of music.  

When I was a kid there was a time for about five years when we didn't have a TV. Growing up in the late 80s and early 90s, there was no social media, but I don't remember ever feeling left out from my friends, or bored. I think because my sister was a lot older than me, I was on my own a lot and this was vital in harnessing my creativity. So I made up stories.

Now, aged 40, with a birthday coming up, I'm still making up stories-let's face it, the state of the world in 2023, a bit of escapism is something we could ALL benefit from...

I've tried to curb my addiction to caffeine over the years but have come to the conclusion that I love it too much(strong, two brown sugars, oat milk if you're asking), I don't smoke, I hardly drink at the moment, I wouldn't call coffee a vice, more of an addction-in the right hands it can be an art form.  I'm a bit of a Costa nut at the moment(my poison is either a Cortado or a Salted Caramel frappe).  I did have a bottle of coffee syrup at home but had to wean myself off it -that s**t is seriously addictive.  I do love independent coffee shops too, there are loads here, I just haven't tried any yet(there's a few I have my eye on.)  I am finding that not having coffee too late in the day does help my sleep pattern though-dull as ditchwater I know, but it's working.

I don't have Wi-Fi in my flat(I do get a certain amount of data per month, but the rate at which I stream music means it doesn't last the whole month) but honestly it's turned out to be a massive gift for my writing.  I have multiple journals and I'm finding making time to write in those in the morning when I wake up, while the birds tweet-I live near a RSPB reserve so relaxing, and sets me up for the day. I've written more in the last 4/5 months and read more books than in the whole year prior to that.  Ok it means I can't join in conversations about the latest hit TV show but you win some you lose some.

In lockdown I was living back at my parents' after a relationship break up the year before-the bonus of this was spending the last two years of my Nan's life with her, a true gift worth more than any money.  During the strictest part of the lockdown I convinced my parents to play Monopoly every day(I'm a bad loser and fiercely competitive), we would also play Dobble and a game I've loved for years called Yahtzee(the number version, weirdly I find that and Scrabble a bit tedious.)  I think you're either someone like me who loves board games -although I have to say I have a short attention span and can't be bothered playing anything with loads of complicated rules, or find them boring.

We would also go for walks on the beach every day and collect sea-glass.  I really miss the beach now.  I would reminisce about my holidays abroad.  I went on some really amazing holidays with the ex-boyfriend I was with for ten years.  The first one was Barcelona, and it was the first time I had the experience of getting off the plane and the heat hitting you.  There is so much to do there and I wrote some poems about it when we got back.  We packed so much in yet there were loads we didn't get around to doing. One standout day trip was to Montserrat, when we went there was a package you could get where you get a train ticket(which includes a cable car at the end, I'm not scared of heights but might be a struggle if you are)and lunch at the cafe which, although pretty basic, was nice enough.  The place itself is so beautiful and peaceful, you can hear the bells ringing in the mountains, as I've mentioned the cable car ride is not for the faint-hearted, but we both really enjoyed it.

The Sagrada Familia was just breathtaking, I felt quite emotional going inside, I think partly because money from my Granny had paid for the trip and she had a strong faith, seeing the stained glass and Gaudi's Cloisters of Geese -apparently he designed the Sagrada Familia so a choir of 1000 people could sing there- was one of my travel top moments of my life so far.  It's impressive from the outside, but inside is next level incredible.

The public transport system is fantastic as well, we were on and off the Metro most days, it's clean, easy to navigate, just make sure you are going in the right direction.  I really loved the Waterfront, we ate at Restaurant 7 Portes-check out their website here -the Paella is to die for and you're surrounded by placards telling you which of the Hollywood Greats has eaten there, meaning you feel a bit like a celebrity for the day.

We also had a day out to Figueres where the Dali museum is, definitely worth it, I learnt a lot about Dali I didn't know, but get there early.  There are loads of places nearby that do amazing Tapas, check out the Basque cider too, it's just what you need on a baking hot day.  As you can tell, I absolutely loved Barcelona and would definitely go back there.  We didn't do the football stadium tour, but I'm sure that would be amazing too.  Whatever you're interested in, there's something in Barcelona for you, if you love art it is a must!

Reading: Bit of a Stretch by Chris Atkins

Watching: Instagram reels and my favourite singers on YouTube

Beauty: Collection Next Level Lash mascara

Food: Toast and Marmite

Drink: Coffee of course!

Travel: Daily walks along the river

Current obsession: Playing Wordle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Not OK

Guest Post: Kristina M Serrano

Me Too in 2023: